The National Policy framework has been prepared after due deliberation and keeping in view the National Vision to build a safe and disaster-resilient India by developing a holistic, proactive, multi-disaster and technology-driven strategy for DM. This will be achieved through a culture of prevention, mitigation and preparedness to generate a prompt and efficient response during disasters. The entire process will centre-stage the community and will be provided momentum and sustenance through the collective efforts of all government agencies and Non-Governmental Organizations’.
In order to translate this vision into policy and plans, the NDMA has adopted a mission-mode approach involving a number of initiatives with the help of various institutions operating at the national, state and local levels. Central ministries, States and other stakeholders have been involved in the participatory and consultative process of evolving policies and guidelines.
This Policy framework is also in conformity with the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction, the Rio Declaration, the Millennium Development Goals and the Hyogo Framework 2005-2015. The themes that underpin this policy are:-
- Community-based disaster management, including last mile integration of the policy, plans and execution.
- Capacity development in all related areas.
- Consolidation of past initiatives and best practices.
- Cooperation with agencies at the national, regional and international levels.
- Compliance and coordination to generate a multi-sectoral synergy.
From the national vision and the theme mentioned earlier, the objectives guiding the policy formulation have evolved to include:
- Promoting a culture of prevention and preparedness – by centre-staging DM as an overriding priority at all levels and at all times.
- Encouraging mitigation measures based on state-of-the-art technology and environmental sustainability.
- Mainstreaming DM concerns into the development planning process.
- Putting in place a streamlined institutional techno-legal framework in order to create and preserve the integrity of an enabling regulatory environment and a compliance regime.
- Developing contemporary forecasting and early warning systems backed by responsive and fail-safe communications and Information Technology (IT) support.
- Promoting a productive partnership with the Media, NGOs and the Corporate Sector in the areas of awareness generation and capacity development.
- Ensuring efficient response and relief with a caring humane approach towards the vulnerable sections of the society.
- Making reconstruction an opportunity to rebuild back better and construct disaster-resilient structures and habitats.
- अंतिम बार अपडेट हुआ गुरुवार, 26 सितम्बर 2013 11:31