Project for “Capacity Building of IAS and Central Services Officers on Disaster Management” at Centre for Disaster Management (CDM), Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA), Mussoorie
NDMA in collaboration with Centre for Disaster Management, LBSNAA, Mussoorie had undertaken a pilot project in FY 2012-13 for capacity building of IAS/Central Service officers for providing basic foundation training courses with regular updates in Refresher and Orientation Programmes with the aim to sensitize to the existing systems of Disaster Management at the various executive and policy making levels of the government; mainstreaming Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR); development of knowledge repository (Reports, Documents, Reading Materials, Audio, Video, Brochure, posters etc.) on Disaster Management, etc. Under the pilot project, 1048 Officers were trained.
Based on the successful completion of the pilot project, NDMA implemented 2nd phase of the project during FY 2013 – FY 2016-17 and trained 3378 officers.
Further, NDMA implemented 3rd phase of project from FY 2017-18 – FY 2019-20 (extended upto 30.6.2020) and following activities were undertaken:
- Trained 3268 Officers (1099 in 2017-18; 1077 in 2018-19; and 1092 in 2019-20) against the total target of 2850 Officers in three years through various training programmes.
- Conducted case studies on Kerala Flood 2018: Enquiry into causes and Risk Mitigation Strategy and Heat Wave in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana: Efficacy of Heat Wave Guidelines and Action Plan.
- Developed course specific reading materials and training materials for various training programmes like foundation course; Induction Training Programme; IAS Professional Course Phase-I & II; Round Mid-Career Training Programme of Phase III; DDMP; and IRS.
- Published case study books on Disaster Governance in India – Series 4, 5 and 6; and Disaster Response and Management Vol-5,6, and 7.
- Other activities like Ham Radio Training to OTs foundation course/Phase-I and Staff of LBSNAA; School Safety Programme and mock drills; and Fire Safety Programme for Academy Staff and OTs, etc.