Capacity building is an ongoing process that equips officials, stakeholders and the community to perform their functions in a better manner during a crisis/disaster. In the process of capacity building, we must include elements of human resource development, i.e., individual training, organizational development such as improving the functioning of groups and organizations and institutional development. At the national level, The National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) is the capacity building arm and the States have disaster management cells in the State Administrative Training Institutes performs the function of capacity building for effective and efficient disaster management. There are a number of other training institutes which are engaged in training and capacity building in the area of disaster management.
Role and Responsibilities
- To develop parameters/guidelines under which NIDM has to function and correspondence relating thereto. Preparation of NIDM guidelines Matters relating to Capacity Building Grant under Finance Commissions.
- International Co-operation including preparation/finalization of MoUs in the field of DM with various countries, and its implementation, visit of foreign delegation for bilateral meetings, etc.
- To coordinate with International Organization such as UNDRR, UNDP, UNICEF, UNOCHA, UNFPA, AHA Centre, IORA, BRICS, SCO, BIMSTEC, ADPC, ADRC, G20, World Bank, SAARC, ASEAN, etc.
- Nomination of officers of NDMA as guest lecturer or participant for attending International and National Workshops / Seminars / Training / Meetings, Forums / etc.
- Implementation of various projects of Capacity Building on Disaster Management (DM), DRR, Disaster Response in collaboration with State Govts/UTs and CDM, LBSNAA, Mussoorie.
- Monitoring of implementation of the National Disaster Management Guidelines on School Safety Policy – 2016 in all schools of India
- Monitoring of DM Exhibition & Mock Drills in all Schools of AMRUT Cities (500).
- Processing of proposals of partial financial support for organizing events on disaster related subjects receives various Departments of GoI/State Govts. and Institutions such as IITs, JNU, FICCI, CII, TIFAC and NGOs etc
- Processing of proposals for extending NDMA logo for organizing events on disaster related subjects support
- Parliament Questions/RTI Matters/VIP references/reports & returns, budget,
- Training part of NDRF